This wasn’t supposed to be a rant post but soon turned into one. I’m sorry in advance! I’ve been actively blogging for the last 8 months. I understand some aspects of blogging, I’ve made my peace with some aspects of it but there are some things that I just don’t get.
- SPAM comments – I didn’t even know these existed till a 2-3 months back but apparently based on some algorithm (too much daily activity or something?), WP flags some comments off as SPAM and they end up in your SPAM folder till you don’t go approve them. While I like the intent behind having this option, more often I find well meaning comments just waiting in SPAM for me to approve.
- How do people with full time jobs maintain a blogging schedule? – I convinced myself to stick to a blogging schedule in 2021 – one week in and I’m already behind. I write when I find some inspiration and I have this weird urge to post as soon as I’ve written. I also like to check-in every few hours to reply to comments or read people’s posts – blogging is A LOT of work! With my work taking up more time in 2021, I really want to understand how people with full time jobs/in full time courses in university manage blogging and work.
- Finding one niche to write about – I’ve been trying to find that one topic that I want to focus on but I just love writing about so many things that I just can’t seem to limit myself to just one thing. I had started this blog to share my travel stories – but I love sharing about my life, mental health, sustainability journey, travel(when I do), recipes as well as books. I wish I could downsize this list but that would mean skipping on topics that actually inspire me to write.
- Promoting your blog on social media- I get its a great way to share your blog with a wider audience but I wish there was an easier way to do it – I am so awkward about sharing my blog on my existing social media and too lazy to create a whole new social media presence for my blog – argh!
- Why do bloggers recycle similar content/topics – I understand that some content gets more views than other but OMG, it bugs me to go to my reader and see THE same kind of posts. Eg: 5 ways to improve your blog, 5 ways to get more engagement, 5 ways to get your life in order etc. I’m not throwing shade on any blogger – I know how hard it can be to come up with content and obviously some topics are an easy way to get views if you’re a new blogger but it just is boring after a point.
- Mindless commenting/likes – Bro, I get ya – engaging with hundreds of bloggers can be hard! But boy does it bug me when someone mindlessly likes or comments on posts. (Damn, I’m going to lose a lot of followers after posting this)
- Why are brands not approaching me? Hey, Estee Lauder- I’m waiting! Haha! 😛
Honestly these are just some very different things about blogging that I’m still trying to understand and some that I feel like I will never understand! 😛 What are some things that you don’t get about this world of blogging?
If you haven’t read my other posts, check them out NOW –